Monday, February 22, 2016

Why I Love Vinyl


I know, I'm crazy late on the vinyl wagon, but better late than never right? I don't remember my parents ever having any records around when I was a kid (I think they gave their collection away before I was born in an effort to modernise, I know my mum still regrets it), we were definitely a CD family. I only got my first turntable this past Christmas so I feel like I have decades worth of listening to catch up on!

I think the thing that I love most about listening to music on vinyl is the ritual of it. It's not like iTunes where you just hit play and then leave it to run in the background. When you listen to a record you have to really listen to it, sure you can do something else while you're listening, but the actual process is so much more involved than the multi disk CD players and iPods that I used while growing up. I don't know if it's like this for anyone else or if I'm just scared of breaking things, but I'm really slow when it comes to playing records. I take my time making sure there's no dust or dog hair caught on the disc, and I'm always super careful not to hurt the needle when I put it down. It's been a long time since I stopped buying CD's so to physically hold the music I love so much in my hands feels really special, and I feel like I have to play it really lovingly.

I've decided that I want to try and collect all of the albums that I love and that have shaped my life because I feel like when I listen to an album that I know back to front on vinyl for the first time, it's like I'm hearing a whole new record. When I was finally able to listen to Prism when I got my turntable I was completely overwhelmed by how different and new it sounded - it was like hearing it for the first time all over again and all I could do was sit and listen, it was such a wonderful feeling, so why not keep it going?

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I really love vinyl and analog music.
    I grew up on it, but I feel it's never too late to get into the passion of it.
    Holding a record is so mindblowing, especially thinking on how far music has come.
    You're definitely right though. There's a style, a ritual even, when it comes to vinyl.
    Once you get into the rhythm of it, it becomes mindless or cathartic.
    I really hope your collection grows! I hope you recommend your favourites in the future.

    ReplyDelete