Sunday, October 11, 2015

Rainbow Hair: How To Dye Hair Extensions


As you may have realised by now I really like my hair colourful and something I've always really wanted to have a crack at is rainbow pastel hair, a la my number one hair inspiration, Audrey Kitching:


So, armed with my new Irresistible Me extensions and a bucketload of conditioner, I decided to go for it and share the process with all of you who are interested in possibly joining the unicorn club! This is going to be a very picture heavy post, so follow the cut!






The night before I coloured them, I shampooed the extensions to remove any coating that may have been on them that could stop the dye from taking to the hair. I used Brite Organix colour because it's a nice consistency and I always get a good result with it. For pastel shades you only need a drop of colour in a bunch of conditioner, Brite Organix dyes tend to be very heavily pigmented and for that I thank them because it takes me ages to go through a tube of it. I also added a little splodge of purple to the pink mixture to stop it from going a peachy orange colour when applied to the hair. Use whatever conditioner you prefer, I picked up a giant bottle of Sunsilk for coloured hair on sale. Make sure you use a dark coloured towel, and be sure to cover any areas that you don't want stained!





Then set your inner artist free and start painting! There's no real method to this other than just going to town on them so that the hair is completely saturated with colour, so be sure to flip the extension pieces over and coat both sides evenly and get all the bits in the middle - a wide toothed comb will help with this. With thicker pieces like the quad weft, it helps to section it out and paint each weft at a time. I put a piece of foil between each layer of the quad weft to keep them separated and stop the colours bleeding into each other.



Adorable four legged assistant is optional, but highly recommended.



I went for pretty chunky blocks of colour and a bit of an ombr├ęd look on four of the pieces and did the rest of them plain pink so that the coloured pieces will still blend nicely with my own hair. When I was all done, I wrapped the hair up in foil (you don't have to and I don't think it makes much difference anyway, I just didn't want any sneaky dogs knocking them off the bath and tracking colour all over the bathroom) and left them overnight.



The next day I rinsed the colour out under cold water and pegged them up to dry and hoped my neighbours didn't look over the fence to see my hair hanging on the hills hoist. You may have to do it a couple if times for the pigment to really take to the hair, I dyed these ones twice. Below is what they looked like after the second lot of colour- perfect!



It's a very simple and straightforward process, but it is quite time consuming so make sure you set a couple of hours aside for it! The extensions soaked up the dye well, and I think if I decided to change the colours it'd be easy to remove the current dye with a simple vitamin c bath. The texture of the hair is still super silky and smooth, and they didn't shed much at all when I brushed them through after they'd dried so I'm very satisfied with this set, seriously look at all that hair! I don't even know how I'm going to fit it all on my head. 

I haven't had a chance to photograph them in yet because I've been snowed under by uni/the cold from hell, but I've worn them and trust me they look beautiful! I also want to stop this photo from getting ~too photo heavy, I'll make a separate post with pictures them in so check back!


No comments:

Post a Comment