Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I've always loved experimenting with my hair. I think the first time I did something to my hair was when I was about 8 years old when my mum let me get blonde streaks at the salon, and we dyed the highlights pink at home. I'm currently itching for a change because I'm turning 22 in less than a week and I think I'm going through a mini quarter life crisis, so I thought it would be fun to show you all my myriad of different hair colours (the good and the bad) through the years!


In 2007, when I was 14, my mum let me have my fringe dyed pink in the school holidays and I think that was when I really got hooked on fun coloured hair. It was the era of MySpace, scene kids, and skinny jeans so tight that they cut off the circulation to your ankles, and you weren't really anybody unless you had some kind of ridiculously over the top hairstyle, be it stripes, spots, leopard print, or backcombing so huge that it defied the laws of gravity.

2008 was when I really took it upon myself to push my hair as far as I possibly could, until I'd bleached it so much that it was completely fried and I had to dye it brown and cut it all off. The amount of times I ended up in detention (and nearly kicked out of school) for having 'inappropriately' coloured hair was more than I could count on my fingers, but I was always going to do exactly what I wanted with no concern for any kind of authority, haha. By the end of the year I'd gone back to black and gotten my first pair of clip in extensions, which I haven't been able to live without since.


2009 was a relatively simple year. I stuck with a combination of black and blonde for most of it, until around November when I decided that I wanted to be a redhead and because I never learn, completely fried my hair again in order to achieve it. I yoyo-d between red and black a couple of times, ending up with a dark reddish brown. Now that I'm reflecting on everything I've put my hair through I think I'm starting to understand why it never seems to grow!


2011 was pretty boring. I went from brown to black, stayed black for a while, and then decided to liven things up with a black and white split fringe. In 2012 I set my own personal best and managed to keep the same hairstyle for over 12 months, which for me was a pretty huge achievement! My hair also grew a pretty substantial amount over the year and I ended up not having to wear extensions at all - a feat I haven't achieved since.


2013 was the year that I discovered that my hair really should come out of my head purple. I completely destroyed my beautiful, long, thick hair because I was impatient and I bleached it three times in two days (DON'T EVER DO THIS, YOU WILL REGRET IT) because, as I mentioned earlier, I never learn. Like literally never. I spent most of 2013 searching for the perfect purple, and by the start of 2014 I'd found it and I should have never let it go! I also played around with pink roots and another split fringe during 2014, just to keep things interesting.


In July last year I decided that I wanted to go back to my natural colour in order to give my hair some time to recuperate, grow, and forgive and forget about everything I'd done to it. I'd also wanted to try a brown to blonde ombré for a while, so after two days in the hairdressers chair (don't ask, I can't even tell you why it ended up being so difficult because I have no clue) I emerged as my natural, boring state and I've been yawning ever since. I've tried to keep things exciting by dying the ends of my ombréd extensions pink, blue, and purple, but it's just not enough for me, so I'm embarking on a new adventure. It's something I've always dreamed of but have never managed to do, so I'm very excited to share it with you all when it's done!

♡♡♡




No comments:

Post a Comment